- Google Maps’ new “COVID-19 layer” makes it possible for end users to see up-to-date coronavirus hazard quantities.
- It shows a seven-working day typical of the number of new conditions for each 100,000 people.
- Stats are based on The New York Situations, Wikipedia, Johns Hopkins University, and the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.
- This aspect, together with many others these as “dwell busyness” and transit alerts, will assist make touring throughout the pandemic a minimal safer.
- The Centers for Condition Handle and Prevention warns that “journey improves your possibility of obtaining and spreading COVID-19.”
- Go to Insider’s homepage for much more tales.
As a Google Pixel cell phone owner who sings its praises from the rooftops, I am already really mindful of how Google products and solutions support me, both equally when I journey and in my day-to-working day lifetime.
Nevertheless, Google Maps a short while ago unveiled a new function that can aid us all be a little safer through this pandemic — particularly as the holidays strategy and quite a few will vacation to see loved ones, inspite of the Facilities for Illness Control and Prevention’s advice that folks continue to be house.
As a journey reporter who has scarcely remaining her hometown in 9 months, and is setting up to generate 33 hours to Colorado for the wintertime soon, this new attribute, identified as the “COVID-19 layer,” makes me come to feel a small little bit much more in management.
The new “COVID-19 layer” will allow end users to see up-to-day coronavirus hazard figures, as effectively as irrespective of whether the quantity of instances is heading up or down.
It exhibits a seven-working day typical of the amount of new circumstances for each 100,000 men and women.
To get to this layer, open up Google Maps and simply click on the layers icon on the top rated correct, which appears like two very little squares on top rated of every other. Then click on on “COVID-19 details.”
You then most likely have to have to zoom out a very little little bit as the info is by county, state, and place. The map is shade-coded, ranging from gray (a lot less than one situation per 100,000 people) to dim red (40+ circumstances for each 100,000 people).
Hunting at the map will support you see irrespective of whether there are any outbreaks in your location — I find this specially practical presented the anticipated put up-Thanksgiving spike.
It can also support notify any journeys you have prepared, as you can see if cases are increasing at your destination. Clicking on a put will also acquire you to nearby coronavirus assets.
Google has also rolled out other beneficial coronavirus-linked attributes, together with “are living busyness” information and facts for community transportation, places to eat, and outlets, as properly as providing any COVID-19 updates these may perhaps have or safety measures they have place in position, as well as transit alerts and COVID-19 constraints for routes you glimpse up.
It is worth noting that the Facilities for Disease Handle and Prevention warns that “vacation raises your prospect of receiving and spreading COVID-19.”
This is an viewpoint column. The ideas expressed are all those of the writer(s).